Have you tried using coconut oil? It is really great for a variety of different things. I bought this jar for £6 out of Tesco nearly 8 months ago and it’s still half full. There are 5 main ways that I use it:
1) Mix with bicarbonate of soda and use to whiten your teeth. To be fair it doesn’t fast very good and is a bit nippy but it does have quite a good result with whitening teeth. Just take a tea spoon of the bicarbonate of soda and a tea spoon of the coconut oil and mix together into a paste. Then, simply using your toothbrush, use as you would toothpaste for about 3 minutes. I always brush my teeth properly with toothpaste before I do this but I’ve heard that people use it as toothpaste as well.
2) Mix a little of the coconut oil with table salt and use as a scrub/exfoliator for your face (or your whole body I suppose). A little goes a long, long way so don’t be too over zealous when you try this for the first time.
3) Use a little of the oil as a conditioner for your hair. You can either use it as a deep conditioner, so slather it on and then wrap your hair in a towel and go for a nice long relaxing bath – with a Daisy Blue candle of course – and then wash it as normal. Or I also use it as a regular conditioner when I am washing my hair as normal in the shower. But again, remember, a little goes a very long way so don’t use too much.
4) This is the way I use it most and that is as an intense night face moisturiser. At least once a week (and usually when I am washing my hair the next day), when I clean my face at night, I will use this as my night time cream. I simply take a little out (the size of a one pence piece) of the jar with a knife and rub together between my palms. It will start to melt and when it become liquified, apply to your face and neck as you would normal cream. Don’t use too much or you will slip right out the bed and also have to clean your sheets and pillow cases! I tend to put it on a couple of hours before I go to bed and that way it has completely absorbed into my skin.
5) As an all over body moisturiser. It is particularly good on dry skin so maybe the heels of your feet, or your elbows. You don’t need much and it is really effective. I use it on my feet all the time and it keeps them lovely and soft.
Virgin coconut oil is completely natural and will not harm your body or hair or teeth in any way. Give it a go and tell me what you think.